Sunday, April 25, 2010

Final Thoughts on the Chargers' Draft

The NFL draft is a once a year thing, just like me updating this blog, so since they're so alike I thought I might use one to talk about the other one.

After surfing the net to look at draft grades, I found one that was the closest to what I thought about our draft (before I read anyone else's opinions). To make it easier on me, I'll just c/p that part (it's from cbssports):

Best pick: Third-round pick Donald Butler is a quality inside linebacker who could move one of the starters aside and take their job.

Questionable move: Trading so many picks to move up to draft running back Ryan Mathews in the first round. He better be LaDainian Tomlinson.

Third-day gem: Cam Thomas is a big nose tackle who the Chargers got in the fifth round. I think Thomas might push for time right away.

Analysis: I think to move up and trade so many picks to get Mathews was too pricey. They did make up for it later in the draft with some nice picks.

Grade: B-

When it comes down to it, draft grades and analysis are really educated guesses. Only time will tell the actual quality of a team's draft. So I do agree with the initial grade, but to me the Chargers' draft could turn out to be a "C" draft or even a "A" draft. It makes sense to average those out, getting my "B" grade.

Now time to talk specifically about Ryan Mathews, b/c that's the person everyone seems to care about most, even though Cam Thomas could really be the key player of this draft. In my personal opinion, Ryan Mathews needs to gain 1,200 total yards and 7 TD's in his FIRST year to live up to his 12th pick price tag. I came up with those numbers two different ways. One way is a little complicated and involves math, which I doubt you guys would care about. The other is simple and makes sense. Knowshon Moreno was the 12th overall last year. He split time at some points in the season and started as well in the Denver backfield, but tallied 1,100+ total yards and 9 total TDs. So, Mathews should at least hit 1,200 and 7, being the featured back. Of course, a big part of his production really depends on his pass protection and 3rd down ability to make the catch out of the backfield. Those numbers shouldn't be too difficult to reach considering we play in the AFC West and our elite passing attack should open up the run game. That's all I have to say for now. Is it football season yet??

No comments:

Post a Comment